Even if you love your home’s neutral palette or all-white allure, you may be yearning for the vibrancy that color can add to a room’s interior design. Fortunately, there are ways to enhance today’s popular monochromatic and neutral looks with the personality and depth that color can offer. Here are five ways to make it happen:
- Set a colorful table. If your dining room is decked out in sleek grays or soft whites, bring drama or warmth to the room with brightly colored dinnerware and stemware. Try shades of cobalt blue, yellow or green to create a variety of moods.
- Add a statement rug. A modern color block, muted floral or classic Persian can be the perfect way to bring all the color you need to an otherwise monochromatic living room or bedroom.
- Incorporate one stand-out chair. Choose one chair—or sofa—in a bright color, and let it be the centerpiece of a neutral room.
- Paint a ceiling. Just because all your walls are white doesn’t mean your ceiling has to be. Choose a pretty sky-blue or a fun, bold color for a small space, such as a powder room.
- Dress your windows. If your walls and furnishings are neutral, let your window treatments do the job of adding color. Choose velvet drapes in deep, rich hues for a dramatic effect or sheers in bright tropical shades.
The best thing about adding color in the above ways is that it can easily be changed as your style changes. Repaint, move furniture and change out linens as your tastes evolve over the years. With your home’s neutral background, you always have a blank canvas to work with!