Even though you know all the many things that make your house so special, the average home shopper is probably a bit jaded. They’ve looked at countless homes online and have probably driven around to see many in person as well. They may even be at the point where they’re not going to bother getting out of the car if they pull up to a house and it just doesn’t grab them.
That’s why it’s exceedingly important to make sure your house stands out at a glance. The market is competitive, so you need to attract the discerning – and sometimes tired, frustrated and stressed out – eye of buyers. Here are some ways to make your house just a little more eye-catching:
1. Paint the Trim. Painting the trim around your roofline, windows and front door in a complementary color can be an instant wow that really sets your home apart. Just don’t do anything too crazy. Consult a color expert at your local paint store to find out what options may work.
2. Get creative with shutters. Adding fixed shutters to your windows is another eye-catching feature from the curb. A contrasting or coordinating paint will make them especially appealing, or they can be stained for a natural look. Architectural elements or gingerbread can be added for additional appeal.
3. Make the front door a focal point. The front door is possibly the first thing homebuyers will see from the curb, so make sure it’s special. Paint it a stand-out color, such as red, black or cobalt blue. Frame it in stonework or panels of decorative or stained glass. Go with a natural wood look and add cast iron elements, such as a door knocker and sconces.
4. Put plants in focus. If you’ve got a green thumb, let your landscaping lend a hand with curb appeal by adding attractive potted plants to your front stoop or porch, window boxes with trailing vines and flowers, and neatly trimmed grasses and shrubs along the front and side border of your home.
5. Light it up. The right accent lighting will work magic for your home’s presentation, so make sure your front door is lit properly, add atmospheric lighting along walkways and can lights to shine a spotlight on trees and other important features of your lawn or home.
These few steps will serve as immediate attention-getters to prospective buyers and leave an indelible impression as they narrow down their choices.