If there’s one spot in your home that should serve as a welcome escape from the stress of the day, it’s your bedroom. If your bedroom is currently not the sanctuary it should be, here’s a five-step plan for turning it into a sacred space:
- Create the foundation. While you don’t need to stick to just one design theme—i.e., contemporary, beach cottage, zen palace—it is important to choose a style direction, says Better Homes & Gardens. This will help guide your decisions on the foundational elements of your bedroom, including the bed, window treatments and color.
- Arrange the furniture. Where you place your bed, bureau and accent furniture pieces has a strong impact on the vibe of your bedroom. Arrange furniture in a way that maximizes space and allows you to easily move through the room, as a smooth flow is critical to a sanctuary feeling. You might want to look into feng shui aspects of design to further ensure a peaceful environment.
- Invest in the bedding. If there’s one element that’s most critical to turning your bedroom into a sanctuary, it’s bedding. Choose high-quality sheets, soft blankets and cozy comforters in colors and patterns you love. Use soft and textured accent pillows to lend both warmth and style.
- Paint last. The color you put on your walls will obviously have a big impact on the look and feel of your bedroom, but choose your paint color after you’ve decided on your furniture and linens, not vice versa. Be sure to choose a color that complements the woods in your furniture
- Light it right. The last thing you want in your bedroom is harsh lighting. Take the amount of natural light your room gets into account, then layer the lighting in your bedroom so that you have plenty when you need it, but also the ability to tone it down. Consider a bright overhead light with a dimmer switch, decorative bedside lamps and a floor lamp placed near a chair for reading. A few candles are also in order for the ultimate sanctuary vibe.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens