We all love staying toasty warm! Paying a whopping heating bill? Not so much. Below are six ways to slash your bills while keeping the heat in all winter long.
1. Lower your thermostat by just 1 degree. You will hardly notice and this may reduce your heating bill by as much as 3 percent. Save even more by lowering your thermostat 2 degrees during the day and 5 to 10 degrees at bedtime, if health conditions permit.
2. Everyone loves a cozy fire on cold days, but be sure to close fireplace dampers when you are not using it. This will help prevent warm air from escaping your home through the chimney.
3. Sunny out? Open curtains and blinds that face the sun to warm your home, and close them at night to avoid uncomfortable cold drafts.
4. Set your hot water heater to no more than 120 degrees. You’ll still be able to enjoy a hot shower, while saving energy at the same time.
5. Rearrange the room. Move furniture and drapes away from heating registers, radiators and baseboard element covers. Open any register or baseboard dampers to allow for maximum heat.
6. Seal windows and door frames. Use weather stripping or caulk to seal cracks and prevent drafts. While you’re at it, install draft guards beneath doors. Find them at your local hardware or home improvement store.
Source: Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G)