Flooding can cause serious damage to your home and property. However, if your home uses natural gas, flooding can cause serious safety issues. Piedmont’s Severe Weather Safety Bulletin offers comprehensive safety information for natural gas users, including the following tips for residents affected by flooding:
– Do not attempt to disconnect or work on or around your natural gas meter.
– After flooding, do not attempt to re-light any of your natural gas appliances. Call your local natural gas company to inspect your meter and your natural gas appliances for possible damage.
– Do not attempt to clear flood debris from your natural gas meter or from any other natural gas appliances, including your water heater.
– Never use outdoor equipment indoors for cooking or heating. This includes natural gas grills, generators, etc.
– If you smell the rotten egg odor of natural gas and suspect a leak, leave the premises immediately, and do not use a cellphone or anything electrical that can cause a spark inside your home.
Source: Piedmont’s Severe Weather Safety Bulletin